Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hike to Miuka Falls


I had a nice hike to Miuki Falls in Sumter National Forest today.
My initial plan was to hike the 3.4 mile Winding Stairs trail from the southern trailhead to the northern trailhead at Cherry Hill Recreation Area, and return. In less than a half mile, after passing a couple of trashy areas with fire rings, the trail disappeared at small water fall that I later learned was Crane Falls. I bushwhacked my way another 1/3 of a mile, crossing the creek a couple of times, without success in finding the trail again.


I ultimately drove to the Cherry Hill Recreation Area and started my hike from the north.The trail from the north was easy to follow with a slight incline as it followed along Townes Creek. After about 1 1/2 miles, I took a side trail to the Miuka Falls. Despite the lack of rain, it was a very pretty falls.


There is supposed to be another waterfall further on, but I was unable to locate Secret Falls. I did find a small trickle of water in what I believed to be Crane Creek and suspect in wetter times there may have been a falls, but none was there on this day.


I plan to return in wetter times and try again to locate Secret Falls and the southern part of the trail.

No comments: